Neurology is the branch of medicine that involves the nerves and nervous system. Neurologists at Summit Medical Group Arizona provide comprehensive care for a wide variety of adult neurological disorders, including diseases of the brain, spinal cord, nerves, and muscles.
Common nervous system disorders that a neurologist can diagnose and treat include:
- Strokes – Damage to part of the brain when its blood supply is suddenly reduced or stopped. A stroke also is called a cerebral vascular accident or CVA. The part of the brain deprived of blood dies and can no longer function properly.
- Epilepsy (seizures) – A condition caused by brief, strong surges of electricity that affect all or part of the brain. Seizures can impact physical and mental health.
- Headaches– Pain in the upper neck and head that varies in severity and frequency. Headaches occur from a wide range of causes.
- Dementias such as Alzheimer’s disease – A gradual loss of mental functions such as the ability to think, remember, reason, and plan.
- Multiple sclerosis – A disease of the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) that causes loss of coordination and muscle control.
- Parkinson’s disease – A disease that occurs when some of the nerve centers in the brain lose the ability to control muscle movement. The condition can result in rigid muscles, tremors, and difficulty with walking and swallowing.
- Various forms of pain – Neuropathic pain can result from injury or damage to the nerves.