December 19, 2018
Preventing Holiday Weight Gain
The holidays are an exciting time of year full of parties and other festive moments that offer tempting treats. Due to all of these joyful events, it can be very difficult to avoid holiday weight gain, especially because it seems like a great excuse to splurge.
Luckily, there are ways to avoid weight gain while still enjoying much of what the season has to offer. Below are some simple tips from our team of weight management experts to help you stay on track.
1. Never show up to a party hungry. Have a small snack before you go such as an apple and cheese stick, 100 calorie pack of almonds, or a Greek yogurt. This can help prevent overeating.
2. Keep a food log to help you stay mindful of what you are eating each day. Use a small notebook or an app on your phone.
3. Set small goals to stay focused and motivated. Some good examples are:
- Drink half your weight in ounces of water each day (i.e. 130 pounds = 65 ounces of water).
- Have a vegetable every night at dinner.
- Park far away when at the grocery store or mall to get some extra steps in.
4. Don’t let one bad meal turn into a bad day, bad week, bad month. Each meal is a new opportunity to get back on track.
5. Stay positive. It’s very difficult to achieve your goals without self-love.
Yes, it’s hard to resist holiday temptations. But with a little attention to the strategies above, you can enjoy yourself without dismissing your healthy habits.